Calavera Catrina Cocktail: A Dia de los Muertos-Inspired Tequila Creation
- 2 oz quality reposado tequila
- 1 oz fresh lime juice
- 1/2 oz orange liqueur (like Triple Sec or Cointreau)
- 1/2 oz agave nectar
- 1/4 oz blackberry liqueur
- Fresh blackberries (for garnish)
- Edible marigold petals (for garnish)
- Crushed ice
- Salt and chili powder mix (for rimming the glass)
- Lime wedge (for rimming the glass)
- Prepare the Glass: Mix equal salt and chili powder on a small plate. Rim the edge of a rock glass with the lime wedge, then dip it into the salt-chili mix to coat the rim. Fill the glass with crushed ice and set aside.
- Mix the Cocktail: In a shaker, combine the reposado tequila, fresh lime juice, orange liqueur, and agave nectar. Fill the shaker with ice and shake well until the outside of the shaker feels cold about 15-20 seconds.
- Assemble the Drink: Strain the mixture into the prepared glass over the crushed ice.
- Add the Blackberry Liqueur: Slowly pour the blackberry liqueur over the back of a spoon so it trickles down and creates a layered effect in the glass.
- Garnish: Skewer a few fresh blackberries and an edible marigold petal onto a cocktail stick and place it atop the drink for garnish.
Tasting Notes: The Calavera Catrina Cocktail is a vibrant tribute to the Day of the Dead (Dia de los Muertos) festivities. The reposado tequila provides a smooth, oaky base, while the fresh lime juice and orange liqueur add a citrusy zing. The agave nectar balances the flavors with a subtle sweetness. The blackberry liqueur adds a depth of flavor and creates a striking visual effect reminiscent of the rich, colorful traditions of the holiday. The marigold petals, an important symbol in Dia de los Muertos celebrations, and the blackberries add a festive and elegant touch to this unique and flavorful cocktail.